Thursday 30 August 2012

CAROL DESPEAUX IS HAUNTING ME...

Ok, I don't know Carol Despeaux...but I know Carol Despeaux. Let me explain. At my win for SIWC last year, Carol Despeaux, a Seattle writer, came in a close second to win the honorable mention.

Later, on a whim, I entered the Writer's Digest contest and came in fourth (out of 2300). When I saw them print the top ten list in a later edition of the magazine, Carol's name was listed in eighth place. We BOTH made the top ten in a contest of more than two thousand entries? Are you kidding me?

A few months passed and PNWA (the Pacific Northwest Writers Association) listed eight finalists in poetry for their two poetry prizes (and they receive roughly 1000 entries per year). Carol's name was on the list with mine. The odds of this happening, for any of you who have entered writing contests before (editors are so subjective) are astronomical. I ended up winning, and she did not win the second prize, but...she WON for memoir writing, another contest they run at the same time.

So I think I have what is the closest possible to my own personal ghost or shadow. I Googled her, and she's a Seattle writer who seems very sweet and family-oriented. If I'm going to be tracked by anyone, she seems a fine choice...but, I hope the sun doesn't shift suddenly and have me chasing her. So far, I've been quite fortunate; I can only hope my luck continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment