Wednesday 2 November 2011

INSPIRATION...TIMES 3!

Ok, so it was roughly a week after the SIWC convention, and I was STILL running on pure adrenaline from it! I decided to put some of that energy into writing, of course, and I penned two poems I'm very proud of--one of which I think is contest-worthy for next year's SIWC contest. I have a second that I edited as per Patricia Young's suggestions, so that may be my second poetry entry.

Then I looked at the criteria for the writing for young readers challenge, and saw the 1500-word limit. 6 typed pages, eh? I started thinking about the kind of story that could be told in that small space. I started with character, then created a slightly humorous, slightly macabre situation to put her into, and then came up with a twist ending that can be interpreted two different ways. The end result, after many edits and much fine-tuning? My entry into the YA category for next year's SIWC contest! SWEET!

I don't think I'll try the nonfiction category, although I have published magazine articles and personal essays in the past. That leaves the storyteller category. I'm taking my time with that one--not rushing anything. I'm planning on reading PILES of short stories between now and then, studying pacing, setting, character, imagery, symbolism, figurative language--everything AND the kitchen sink, basically (hey, I have some good kitchen sink ideas, ok?). IF I come up with something I think can win it, I'll enter. If not, I'll chalk it up to more experience and learning for my writing obsession.

But three new pieces that I'm proud of? In a week? I LOVE SIWC! It's the energy drink for writers...

No comments:

Post a Comment