Wednesday 27 July 2011

THE VALUE OF SPINOFFS

Ok, yesterday, you learned how a headline led to hundreds of articles and article ideas, thousands of dollars, and even mystical connections with writing from one of my success story students. But that article did much more for me than that--it also gave me my first bit of fan mail, which appeared in a December 2004 issue of Writer's Digest, and it caught the eye of the editor of a sister publication of theirs whose editor offered to reprint my article in Writer's Guide to Creativity...also put out by Writer's Digest. It was my first experience with reprint rights (second rights), but pleasurable nonetheless. Those two articles caught the eye of the editor of a book called Writer Profits: How I Got the Gig, and I was paid to write a 5000-word chapter for that book. You just never know where a few words (like a headline) might take you!

No comments:

Post a Comment