Sunday 23 October 2011

I.........won? ... I won............... I WON!

Ok, so when winners for the SIWC poetry contest were SUPPOSED to be e-mailed by the 15th, and the 17th rolled around and I STILL had no e-mail, I had gone through basically all 7 stages of grief and (sort of) moved on. THEN, I got THE e-mail. The one that said, NOT that I had won an honourable mention, but that my poem, "Silver Anniversary," had WON THE CONTEST! $1000 and publication. It accomplished two of my writing goals in one shot:

1. To win a major writing contest.
2. To be paid $1000 for a single sheet of paper.

But what I learned that was even better was:

1. Being acknowledged in front of 800 or so other writers--what a rush!
2. Having people ask me to sign their anthologies who told me how much they enjoyed my words while I was autographing their book. I mean, poets being asked for autographs? How cool is that? Tricia and Dana, you made my weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment